Intake and Assessment Staff Attorney (PT & Remote in CA)
Company: Contra Costa County Bar Association
Location: Santa Ana
Posted on: May 28, 2023
DescriptionWe're a dynamic legal non-profit committed to
fighting injustice and advocating for social, economic, and racial
equity by providing compassionate, holistic, and impactful legal
services. Join our team and together we can work towards a world
where equity and justice are not a goal, but a given!The part-time
Intake and Assessment Attorney will work as a member of the Intake
and Assessment Unit to conduct intake and assessment of new clients
via the CLA SoCal Hotline and clinics. This part-time (20 hours)
non-exempt position is remote and reports to the Directing Attorney
of Intake and Assessment. The ideal candidate will be based out of
Southern California, we're currently not seeking candidates outside
of the state.Responsibilities
- Provide counsel and advice and limited service to clients via
our intake systems.
- Triage walk-in requests for assistance.
- Work closely with intake screeners and intake paralegals.
- Ensuring timely and appropriate responses to requests for legal
- Collect client data for grant reporting purposes.
- Represent clients, counsel, and advise clients in legal
- Maintain detailed and accurate case notes and timekeeping in
case management system (LegalServer).
- Interview clients. Effectively and efficiently communicate with
- Engage in case investigation, witness interviews, and factual
and legal research.
- Research and write pleadings, memoranda, correspondence, and
other legal documents.
- Direct and supervise the legal work of paralegal and law
students, interns, and volunteers.
- Identify wrap-around legal services and work collaboratively
with CLA SoCal's various legal units.
- Work with a multi-cultural perspective of inclusion and
- Follow all organizational and grant compliance policies and
- Perform other duties as required to meet the needs of the
- Juris Doctor degree and an active member in good-standing of
the California Bar or member to another state bar and ability to
register as a legal services provider.
- Organized, with the ability to work on a high-volume
- Knowledge of, and comfort with, intake systems and technology -
- Demonstrated knowledge of general CLA SoCal practice areas
including: Family Law, Public Benefits, Consumer and Housing -
- Experience with diverse client population.
- Bilingual Language (Spanish or Vietnamese) - Preferred.
- Articulate, creative, and passionate advocate with excellent
written and oral communication skills, computer skills, and
- Strong personal work ethic, initiative, and ability to organize
time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with
- Ability to spot legal issues and comfort with providing
real-time counsel & advice.
- Strong interpersonal skill, client communication skills and
comfort working with indigent clients.
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft
Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Reliable team player.
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of clients utilizing
client-centered lawyering and trauma-informed frameworks.
- Ability to model CLA SoCal's values (compassion, collaboration,
trust, accountability, and equity) in job duties.
- Prior legal services advocacy experience - Preferred.
- Bilingual proficiency - Preferred.Life at CLA SoCalIn addition
to a collaborative team spirit and learning culture, Community
Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) offers a comprehensive and competitive
salary and benefits package that includes group health and life
insurance with optional employee buy-in, long-term disability, and
a variety of optional benefits such as pet insurance. We offer a
flexible and hybrid work schedule. Our staff members can work as
few as 35-hour week. Some positions may work beyond a 35-hour week,
including evening and weekend events, when caseload or other
obligations so necessitate. Employees enjoy a work-life balance
with 16 paid holidays a year, paid vacation, sick, and
personal/well-being leave. Employee Assistance Program, Law School
Loan Reimbursement Program, flexible parental leave, and 401k with
employer contribution are available. Employees who can prove
bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus. We
constantly look for opportunities to enhance our programs, reward
our teammates, and update our benefits offerings regularly. Proof
of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment
before date of hire. Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
About CLA SoCalCommunity Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a diverse
non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the legal needs of
low-income residents and seniors throughout Orange and Los Angeles
Counties. We focus on removing barriers to equitable access and
providing compassionate, high-quality legal aid.CLA SoCal aims to
fill all positions with people who share our values and reflect the
diversity of the communities we serve. We provide equal employment
opportunities and strongly encourage all interested individuals to
apply, including people of different abilities, religions,
identities, orientations, nationalities, and ethnicities. Please
note research suggests that individuals identifying as Black,
Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, Indigenous, members of the LGBTQIA
community, women, and people living with disabilities may
self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job
requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the
skills necessary to thrive at CLA SoCal to apply for this
Keywords: Contra Costa County Bar Association, Santa Ana , Intake and Assessment Staff Attorney (PT & Remote in CA), Legal , Santa Ana, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...