Licensed Vocational Nurse 1
Location: Santa Ana
Posted on: July 19, 2021
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures under the
supervision of a clinician or Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed
Vocational Nurse (LVN) or Care Team Supervisor (CTS) to ensure safe
and appropriate care. Responsible for performing operational duties
as required under the supervision of the site administrator or
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate Optum’s commitment to superior customer service,
including quality, care and concern with each and every internal
and external customer.
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times (i.e. does not
leave patient on an exam table unattended) and participates in
Optum fall prevention program.
- Complies with Optum sharps safety program at all times (i.e.
only using devices with safety features and employing safe work
- Directs patient to proper exam/treatment area and prepares
patient for examinations and other procedures.
- Assists in the transportation of patient and patient flow.
- Obtains records and reports vital signs and any other pertinent
patient information to the RN or clinician.
- Administers medication, performs various patient tests, and
instructs patients on procedural preparations under the supervision
of the clinician or RN within their scope of practice.
- Notifies pharmacies of new prescriptions and authorizations of
new refills as ordered by the clinician.
- Collects, labels and transports various specimens to
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas and medical
- Maintains logs, records of medical procedures and inventories
- Performs telephone screening / intake.
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policy and
procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients’ protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Complies with Optum sharps safety program at all times, i.e.
only using devices with safety features and employing safe work
- Anticipates the needs of the Primary Care Physician (PCP) and
carries out orders.
- Checks Electronic Health Records (EHR) for patients' arrival
status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
- Assists clinician and teammates in responding to patient
emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Transports dirty equipment, performs appropriate cleaning,
disinfecting, autoclaving, cold sterilization, maintains autoclave,
cidex and A-test logs.
- Maintains monthly expiration logs for medications and sample
medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
- Maintains yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance
(PM) and as needed.
- Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG’s are
seen by clinician.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure /
- Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by
explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical
Equipment (DME), etc.
- Escorts patients to ancillary services when needed.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information
between site and referred Specialists, Hospitals, Urgent Care
Centers, Ancillary Testing Facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
- Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments.
- Registers new patients and refers them to the Eligibility
department as needed.
- Conducts New Patient Orientation Phase II.
- Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up
- Works bump list.
- Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including
California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV,
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
- Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test
- Participates in handling patient concerns, forwards form to the
Patient Liaison or supervisor and responds to patient complaints if
- Completes Care Team compliance measures on a daily basis
- Assists with Quality Metrics, Comprehensive Health Assessment
Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures,
and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external
site audits (facility site reviews) from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Interacts with the Patient Support Center, Eligibility
department and Pharmacy Support Center.
- Participates in teammates / clinician “huddles”.
- Participates regularly in site teammates and department
- Covers Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions as needed.
- May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs,
senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process
to address the orders.
- Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging
patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient’s
email addresses, updating smoking status, and other
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order test and update
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records
EHR for clinician to authorize.
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in
- Participates in all mandatory training including those that
could be held after working hours including the weekend.
- Provides direct patient care as needed.
- Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO)
(both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates,
and Skills validation including those that could be held after
working hours including the weekend.
- Participates in facilitation of annual skills validation for
Medical Assistants take place during evening hours and or weekends
(selected Saturdays only).
- Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been
reviewed and actions taken.
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding
to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response
- Participates in verifying medications and vaccine doses for
- Mentors and trains teammates in collaboration with the Site
Administrator, lead clinician and people services department.
- Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as
assigned by supervisor /management.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a
- Graduation from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Current California LVN license.
- I.V. therapy and phlebotomy certification required.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (AHA)- (100% online
certification is not acceptable).
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Previous Licensed Vocational Nurse work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will
be required to screen for symptoms using the
ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering
your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth
Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any
state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth
Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas
where physical distancing cannot be attained.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We
built an entire organization around one giant objective; make
health care work better for everyone. Optum, part of the
UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of
the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has
to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means
working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges
that matter. Here you’ll find incredible ideas in one incredible
company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its
affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any
other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its affiliated
medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required
to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, Santa Ana , Licensed Vocational Nurse 1, Other , Santa Ana, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!